North Lake County Library Foundation Mission
North Lake County Library Foundation is a private, nonprofit organization that supports and enriches resources and services of the North Lake County Public Library. We accomplish our mission through fundraising, advocacy, financial support and innovative leadership that benefit our community and promote greater awareness of our Library’s valuable resources. The Foundation augments, but does not replace, tax-based support for our Library through gifts from individuals, families, businesses and non-profit organizations who wish to demonstrate their love for books, literacy, education, our Library and community.
The North Lake County Public Library
The North Lake County Public Library is one of the most important resources in our region. It has one of the highest circulation rates for libraries its size in Montana and reaches more people in our community than any other public or private cultural or educational service.
Below are a few facts that demonstrate North Lake County Public Library’s leadership and service to people in our community and the surrounding areas. Our Library:
- Has served Polson and surrounding communities for more than 100 years.*
- Currently serves a population area of about 16,000 people. 39% of registered borrowers are Polson city residents, 61% are out-of-city residents.
- Ranks 18th among 80 Montana public libraries in the number of items checked out annually.
- Ranks 6th among 80 Montana public libraries in the number of children’s programs offered.
- Is a founding member of the Montana Shared Catalog circulation system, which started with 17 western Montana libraries and has now grown to more than 100 statewide.
- Works with 23 Partner libraries sharing collections that total nearly 1,000,000 items.
- Received the 2013 and 2014 Excellent Library Service Award (ELSA) award from the Montana State Library Commission for achieving excellence in community outreach, information access, policies, planning and evaluation, fiscal management, collection development, continuing education for trustees and staff, and board accomplishments.
- Received the 2006 Montana Partner Libraries Library of the Year Award.
- Received the 2002 Montana State Reading Council Literacy Award.
*A complete history of the North Lake County Public Library can be found at NorthLakeCountyLibrary.org